Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 3, 2009

More Sleep Drama

Are you kidding me? So after the sleep debacle the other night, we were eager to see what was happening next. Thomas took a great nap yesterday, though he had dark circles under his eyes all day. We had his preschool parent meeting last night so he had a babysitter. He apparently only cried for us once. After the babysitter left, he got in the tub and had the beginning of what turned out to be a stupendous meltdown that lasted all the way through his bath and pajamas. We finally got him calmed down and through a book. The little boys was so exhausted he was just over it all. Into the crib he went and was asleep in 15 minutes - a new record! He then proceeded to sleep 11 solid hours! Beautiful.

Today had been fun, played with some friends at the Playroom then home for lunch and toys before nap. No problems - changed clothes, read some books, into the crib he went. I went to get the monitor so I could take it with me in the office while I worked.......and the crying began. I had to go in every few minutes so he wouldn't throw up, he was hitting himself, he was hysterical. Finally I stood at his crib and he fell asleep. 42 very short minutes later he's crying again. I went back, stood at the crib for almost 20 minutes and he went back to sleep. He just wanted me there. Hopefully this is a one time thing....I'm not going back to the days where we help him get to sleep....I gotta work!

Who knows what adventures this night brings?

3 comments:

Leah said...

Ah, the joys of parenthood!

Unknown said...

He's hitting himself?! That just doesn't sound right ... I'm sending all the calming thoughts i can to him!! and y'all!! Love you!

Tom Pittard said...

I couldn't agree more that hitting himself doesn't sound right. And yet ... apparently ... it is actually a really "normal" (or at least very common) phase sort of thing. As it turns out, most do this sort of thing and it isn't even as bad as the self biting and head banging that is also, supposedly, fairly normal. It is pretty hard to see and we are looking forward to it not happening much!
Thanks for the calm! We'll take it.